Sunday, September 12, 2010

I've fallen behind

I want this House Dress so badly. I saw this baby on the pattern rescue and haven't been able to get it out of my head. So far I have not been able to locate a copy. Some of the trouble comes from identifying the pattern number. I think it's 1689, but it's hard to tell. 
So with the completion of the Guys and Dolls Show I realized something. My house is a mess. Don't worry though I have valid excuses-- I think.

First of all. Massive amounts of sewing, organizing and measuring to put together the costumes for a show.
Second: Taking night classes. (This seriously impedes on my cleaning time.)
Third: Wedding. We're getting down to crunch time on choosing a venue. Luckily I think I've decided.
Fourth: (goes with #2) Copious amounts of homework.
Fifth: Dragon Con.... Spent too much time planning and engaging in that.
And Sixth: General Tiredness/Laziness. With so much to do I just haven't wanted to do much cleaning. I get home and pretty much fall into bed. In the mornings I'm not motivated to get up and get out of bed. What I need is some motivation to get me back on my specially tailored cleaning schedule.

So my question is what do you all do when you get in that cleaning funk? How do you climb your way out when you've let things go too far and you don't even know where to begin?

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I work on the area/room that needs it the most...set a time I will clean for, like 30 minutes. When the time is up, I'm done. I think everyone is in a kind of cleaning funk right now...multi bloggers have mentioned it this week!

BaronessVonVintage said...

OH have I been there, especially with the renos going on. I've been trying to break all the tasks up in a logical way. For me it was, "okay, first of all, clean up all the visible clutter on the main floor, which for us was in the dining room and living room." After that, I tidied up the upstairs. Then I went back to the main floor and started actually CLEANING with vacuum, etc., one room at a time. I took lots of breaks in between and now things feel a lot less overwhelming. Good luck!!

SewRuthie said...

Flylady is on the right track IMHO, so keep following your adapted version of that. And if you don't have quite so much time as you'd like prioritise dealing with incoming paperwork, washing dishes and vacuuming/mopping the main traffic areas.

mbix said...

Oh the cleaning. It took me years to get the hang of this. My tip for you today: You need to find a place/corner so that you always drop your stuff off in one place when you come in the house. ie.. it needs to easy/no brainer. Like the box we kept downstairs for you guys to drop your stuff in when you came in the house. This keeps the papers, junk all in one place. Once a week or so(we were never that good at it), go after that. If that fails, get a cleaning lady and then you have to pick up before she comes or she won't be able to clean your surfaces :)

Nancy said...

Suzanne: Oh no! Maybe I've caught the anti-cleaning sickness. That is a good idea setting a time. I do that on occasion, but I hate leaving things undone so I'll often keep going until everything is finished anyways.... Still, I'm always surprised at how much can be accomplished in 15 minutes.

Baroness: Making cleaning easier on yourself so you don't get overwhelmed seems to be the key. How do you keep the main areas clean after you pick everything up? Ours seem to accumulate everything in the house.

Ruthie: Thanks! Are you a FlyBaby too?

Mom: I seem to remember we often put things on the floor around the box instead of in the box... I like the cleaning lady idea better. Haha!