Friday, May 7, 2010

My very fashionable relatives.

I hope no one in my family gets mad at me for posting these, but look at how fashionable they all were! The 1970s were a good time for my clan. I just had to share some of these slides. I also think it's great to see what people actually wore. Magazines ads and other common marketing materials of the time don't always tell the truth. Think about it, do you actually go out and buy the $600 dollar dresses they stick in Cosmo? Well I don't, I'm poor. That's why I sew things for under $25.

 

Here we are in 1972. I say we, but I won't be born for another 14 years. That's my Father (in the 8th grade) on the right hand side leaning up against the wall and looking so very suave. I'm definitely digging his shirt and cool hipster pose. I love the print and I'm seriously hoping it comes back in style. You'll also note my Grandmother's very nice blue suit set as she comes in the door. (This was a surprise anniversary party for her and my Grandfather). My cousin is in the white (she now has a middle schooler and an elementary schooler of her own) and she is sporting some super super cute knee socks and Mary Janes.



Here they are at a different event. I want to say New Years 1974. In this photo you can see my Uncle in the upper right. Love the paisley and vest combo here. Very cool. My Aunt in the lower left sports a very cute floral top and white slack combo. She was just a doll wasn't she? She's still a doll, but she doesn't wear this type of get up anymore. Next to her sits her husband (my Uncle) and his white shoes with black socks. Yes! White mens shoes! I have proof that they once existed, but where did they go? Not quite sure I want to bring back the black sock pairing though...

2 comments:

Jana said...

Super fun pictures. I think we are related...
Jana

Nancy said...

Probably! I just love looking at fabrics and such. Gotta love a good paisley.